Wednesday, April 22, 2009

So little time, so much to do!


Michael Phelps...heading to the bike leg.

Chris and I were both set to participate in the BRW Corporate Triathlon held in the Sydney Harbour and Botanical Gardens on April 5. And about one week shy of the event I decided my freestyle stroke was not cutting it. Not only did I not feel comfortable with my own skill...but after Chris watched me attempt to swim laps in the pool...it was clear he too was questioning my ability. 

I swear at an earlier point in my life I was a good swimmer, back stroke mostly, and although that stroke is 'legal' for the triathlon...I still wasn't feeling 100% on that either.  And although I had kept up with my training I sadly pulled myself out of the competition. But I wasn't the only player to fold - there were initially about 12-15 of Chris's work mates registered to participate..and all but one, our pal Joel (from the US of A) had removed themselves from the triathlon, so I wasn't the only "loser".

Chris on the other hand was ready to take on his first triathlon. This event was technically what those in the world of running call a mini or a sprint triathlon. A 400m swim, an 8k bike followed by a 5k run. There were nearly 5,000 people participating, and about 30 heats, starting 5 minutes after another...there were swarms of people down on the waters edge cheering on all of the athletes.  In the very first heat was an Olympian Triathlete who finished the entire event in 27 minutes. And for Chris's first stab he finished in 36:11, not too shabby if you ask me.



No comments: